Eastplats strives in all its operations to foster a climate suitable for sustainable development.
The Company is committed to:
- Protect the environment against negative impacts,
- Optimize the responsible use of environmental resources in a manner which is,
- financially sustainable i.e. reducing environmental costs, adding value to communities, and
- beneficial for both current (increase production, continuous rehabilitation and investing into local areas) and future (optimizing closure plans and cost) generations.
- Monitor environmental sustainability.
Eastplats furthermore emphasizes its commitment to sustainable environmental development by putting in place the following strategic environmental objectives:
- Prevention of dust and emissions, where possible.
- Mitigating the impacts of dust and emissions, if generated.
- Preventing effluent to be generated.
- Ensuring no effluent run off from the premises, by containment and re-use.
- Treatment of effluent to acceptable quality standards, for release or re-use purposes.
Zero Contamination and loss
- Preventing soil contamination by any pollutant.
- Preventing the loss of topsoil or the sterilization of soil.
- Rehabilitation of polluted soil to acceptable standards.
- Management of vegetation and storm water to minimize erosion.
Zero community concerns
- Minimizing and addressing stakeholders concerns about the activities of the mine.
- Minimizing the environmental impacts on stakeholders, through pro-active action.
- Maintaining good relationships with all stakeholders.